Cover Letters and Resumes
Six Tips for Resume Writing
Resume advice can be very subjective depending on who you talk to, but here are six quick tips on how to create an effective resume.
Resumes should be easy to read
- Avoid spelling and grammar errors
- Edit, edit, edit
- Use professional and clear language
Always use a positive tone and project confidence
- Highlight strengths and skills
- Avoid using negative language
Keep it condensed
- Resumes should be between one to two pages (this does not apply to federal resumes)
Talk about the measurements, results, and/or the impact the duties you performed had on the company
- For example: The job title: Help Desk Support
- Duty performed: Troubleshoot computer issues
- Possible measurements to put on the resume: "Provided IT customer support to internal customers by fielding upwards of 200 calls daily"
- Be able to speak about all items in detail to prepare for an interview
Cover any gaps in employment history with volunteering, education, or professional activities
Have questions? Contact us today!